We stand in solidarity with all marginalized communities and we continue to denounce racism and oppression in all forms. In contrast, we celebrate, honor, and respect the beauty and resilience of the many communities of color and rich cultures across the globe.
Letter to our community in response to the murder of George Floyd | May 29, 2020
Read Our Statement
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Waldorf education is founded in a worldview that acknowledges the spiritual nature of all human beings. City of Lakes Waldorf School strives to create and nurture diversity in education through a diverse learning community of children, teachers, families, and staff; recognizing and valuing individual differences while promoting and celebrating the richness in our local and global communities.
- We honor the freedom, equality, individuality and unique capacities of each child, and categorically reject racism and discrimination in all its forms.
- We are dedicated to creating an inclusive community that respects and affirms each of its members, honoring their diversity of culture, ethnicity, race, religion, family structure, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical abilities, and unique learning styles.
- We are committed to diversity in education that transcends stereotypes and prejudices and fundamentally recognizes and values the many peoples and perspectives of our community and the world.
- We believe that a diverse community and the practice of inclusiveness strengthen the educational experience and foster the essential element of respect that prepares students to live and work in a global environment, and contribute to the well-being of all humanity.
- Of the families who choose to racially identify their students, 43% of children in our childcare programs and 28% of students in preschool – 8th grade are racially diverse
- 15% of our families identify themselves or their student as a member of the LGBTQ+ community
- 40% of our families receive tuition assistance
- 16% of our staff identify as racially or ethnically diverse
Anti-Racist Action Plan
We are actively engaged in the work of understanding white body supremacy and the impact of racism on all members of our school community. We are carefully examining our role in perpetuating racial injustice and working to implement real systemic change. We are committed to transforming ourselves, our school structures, and our curriculum—to ensure that we are not complicit in upholding racism and that we are actively engaged in the work of antiracism.
Our Board of Trustees and College of Teachers, led by our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee have developed an Anti-Racist Action Plan. Steps are being taken towards decentering whiteness and to transform our Waldorf curriculum, our hiring and enrollment practices, and the cultural norms of our school traditions. We are committed to substantive and meaningful change to ensure that City of Lakes Waldorf School is a place of equity and inclusion for all.
Anti-Racism Resources for Parents
It is an important time to talk with young people about race and abuse of power in a developmentally appropriate way. Here are several resources that you may find helpful in speaking with your children about racism.
- 5 Tips for Talking With Children About Hate Incidents (Anti-Defamation League)
- How parents can support kids through (and beyond) the latest wave of anti-Asian American violence (CNN)
- Bystander Intervention Training to stop anti-Asian/American and xenophobic harassment.
- Learning Race At Home: Why Colorblindness Just Isn’t Enough (Psychology Today)
- Beyond the Golden Rule: A Parent’s Guide to Preventing and Responding to Prejudice is designed to help parents teach their children to honor the differences in themselves and in others, and offers strategies for talking to kids often and honestly about tolerance — and intolerance.
- Anti-Racism Resources: An online resource for white people and parents to deepen anti-racism work, and includes a list of books for children and adults, podcasts, articles, videos, and more. Read more.
Our dedicated Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee includes members of our parent body, faculty, and administration. To get in touch with our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, please email email@example.com.